Sunday, January 8, 2012

Preppy Inspiration from... The Royal Tenebaums

Preppy style-inspirations can come from films like The Royal Tenenbaums And create lifestyle-stylized-collages on style blogger's websites




But one little Preppy was a' wearing some of this long before the fim





and is tickled to see her childhood style featured in such a great film!


(Above images are credited: movieimagesources .com; polyvore .com; my late mother's camera; Film Comment magazine)



Old-School Preppy Fashion Inspiration:



Margo's "Preppy-Pathos" fashion styling in the film The Royal Tenenbaums is an odd inspiration perhaps for this new year but I find myself craving the wearing-of Lacoste' polo tops and knit dresses, cutting my blond hair back into a bob and rustling around the makeup drawer in my bedroom's vanity table for some black eyeliner. I'd switch the old fur coat for a well-worn trench coat with this being the warmer South and me not being a fur-wearer though I have inherited a few coats n' stoles from my mother and grandmothers. I'm also not a smoker nor depressed but I hope to keep on losing a few pounds and be sporting a leaner profile like the character Margo's (aka a pre-GOOP Gwyneth Paltrow)with now being-back to eating healthy half-portions post a very festive, and festive-foods-everywhere, holiday season.



This is one of my all-time favorite movies and it's on television this afternoon as I wait to watch some football playoffs.....



To me, this film is kind of like, "Faulkner goes to Manhattan and finds some Southern Gothic-ness up there to write about."



The striking settings indoors n' out, satirical atmosphere, snippets of Preppy-childhood elements, generous dollops of eccentricity amid layered family-dynamics and subtleties of sophistication amid the ruins and then rebirth of this cast of true-characters keeps me re watching this movie and continually enjoying it.



Hmmm.... time to search for eyeliner at least before the next football game commences.......



Happy New Year everyone and Happy Preppy Inspiration wherever we all find it!







2 comments:

  1. Funny...it was on yesterday and I caught the second half, had seen it a few times before. Its entertaining and a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI enchanted home! :)

    It IS such a good-laugh isn't it?! This film and Cold Comfort Farm are two of my FAVE droll-comedy films I can watch again and again and always find interesting......

    Am still looking-around for a striped Lacoste knit dress: they have them in solids but that's just not the same kinda'-whitty I'm looking to wear again as an adult.

    Best to you as always, Lachlan

    ReplyDelete