Monday, August 8, 2011

Preppies, Hunting, Family Farms and alla' that good-stuff...

Coming soon to a family-farm field n' woodscape somewhere in South Carolina...



...when this autumn's hunting season commences... a Preppy Hunter and...





...his wife who thinks she can hang-out in her Barbour coat and Burberry scarf...





...but is soon heavily-influenced to transform into the Hunter's Hunting-Pardner...






Just the other day I was informed by my always-keep-Lachlan-in-the-loop husband that, "hunting season is approaching."






Oh yes and oh my. Now we soon commence into the routine of if he's not working or commuting to work or in church on the Sundays he's home...he's...out hunting.






I may see James again on Christmas Day and then again at the end of HUNTING SEASON ;)






Lowcountry Southern Preppies hunt, yes sir and ye ma'am. The men, the women as well as the boys and the girls who are old enough to sit or move quietly and of course hoist a gun n' be a steady-shot.






It's a lifestyle and life-focus for many folks out there and though the non-Preppy crew definitely outnumbers the Preppies, you'll espy the Prepster decked-out in camouflage every now and then. I grew up within the realm of avid bird hunters but recently with living out here on an island heavily populated with deer, I've been a' sittin' in one of our deer stands with James each season. Our extra freezer is filled with venison and it IS a delight to eat knowing that our island's deer population is also being kept healthy and fairly population-controlled. We have a family-rule never to shoot young does, young does with fawns or young bucks. Part of being a Preppy is, "being sporting" about things and honoring what you are engaging with and within. It's the same way with our fly fishing: catch and release. We "release" many, many a deer from our gun sights and so far, at least for me... I've yet to have my first deer-kill... I've let many deer go on from my sights with absolutely no regrets. One day maybe I'll have "my first deer" but I am in no rush to do so. Just sitting up in the deer stand quietly with James is enough.






Being out on the island sitting up in a deer stand I do enjoy to a degree however... after hearing that James ran across not one but TWO rattlesnakes and seeing a picture he took of one a' them recently out on the family farm in mid-state SC well, needless to say, I'm not too keen on heading out to sit in the deer stand out there. Least not to move out there lock stock and barrel (double-entendre' here for a chuckle) to the farm completely. Nothing but acres n' acres of fields and more acres of fields with now definitely rattlesnakes in 'em?? Ah, hummm, yeah I'll "pass" on that, haha!






But I'm not sure if I'll get to pass completely on another hunting season coming around. I may be stuck again sitting for hours up in a deer stand on many of one-a'-my-days-off sporting camo and sitting really, really still. Well, there's worse things to be sure but sitting absolutely still and quiet is quite the Zen practice for me. Gosh, James sure seems to enjoy the total peace and quiet afforded in the setting of being out within nature alongside his deer stand in a tree sitting wife ;)











No comments:

Post a Comment