Sunday, July 12, 2009

White Dresses- Wedding





My wedding dress has a funny story behind it.






Like my mother, I had planned to "just add sleeves" to my deb gown and use it as my wedding dress. However, going into a wedding boutique to look for bridesmaids' dresses, I saw this incredible champagne silk ballgown with rosettes trimming the neckline that reminded me so much of a gown my great-great-grandmother Birdie had of which we have a portrait of her in...






My mother and I loved it, I tried it on and we left the store without it.






A few days later, I left to go to Ole' Miss to be with my older brother who had just started law school there. I stayed a few weeks bumming around the law library and the cute carriage house he was renting just off of Oxford Square.






When I returned home, what was hanging up in my childhood bedroom by my four poster bed but this amazing wedding dress! My father had gone and purchased it while I was in Mississippi- what a wonderful, truly sweet surprise! I always treasure that memory.






And the bridesmaids' dresses we went into the wedding boutique for? Well... we ended up getting them at Lord & Taylor in the evening gown section where I found tailored, elegant midnight-plum ballet length dresses with simple cummerbund-like sashes and plain sleeves.






This photo above is my favorite candid-shot of my husband and I taken just before we walked downstairs to get into our "getaway" horse n' carriage. Hard to believe that it was 18 years ago...









No comments:

Post a Comment